Although this is a short blog, do not under-estimate the power of its content. I use this process with my clients and wanted to share this with you. For those of you who are emotional-type people, you can be easily triggered by all sorts of situations which then derail you, costing you both time and money, not to mention causing you distress. The key is to be able to change your emotional state back to one of balance as quickly as possible so you can limit the damage caused.
To help you with this, I’ve created a simple 7 step process which you can put into practice right away.
- First step is to notice when you are reacting in a negative manner.*
- Acknowledge how you feel.
- Tell yourself to step back from the feeling.
- Ask yourself: What is really happening?
- If there is something you can do about it, do it.
- If you can’t do anything about it, accept that you can’t do anything about it and re focus on the task at hand.
- Give yourself praise for having nipped it in the bud.**
*This will probably take practice and you will get better at it with time.
** This will help you reinforce the new behaviour.
If you have any questions on the 7 steps, please feel free to get in touch and I will be happy to answer your questions.