Don’t Sell, Enable People to Buy
You’re in business and of course you want to make money – that’s a given, but for heaven’s sake, you’re not a double-glazing salesman, so please don’t behave like one! I thought all businesses knew by now that it’s not about a hard sell. (Clearly I’m wrong if my recent experience is anything to go by.)
1) It’s about creating an environment which enables people to buy.
2) It’s about making the buyer feel listened to, understood and cared for.
3) It’s about enabling them to see the value of your service so they want to buy.
Without naming any names or giving too much detail, I wanted to alert you to the fact that within the last couple of weeks, on two separate occasions, I’ve experienced people, who should know better, trying to sell to me. One of them was arrogant about her ability to help me, without finding out anything about me and the other was trying to sell me a particular service but couldn’t guarantee it would bring me any results! Both incidents were a complete and utter turn off and I have no desire to spend a single penny piece with either of them – nor shall I.
Rant over – now for the helpful bit:
If you offer some kind of professional service, before you get to the point of making them an offer, it’s important to find out the following:
1) What’s their pain? i.e. why are they talking to you? What problem are they looking to be solved?
2) What’s the problem costing them financially, physically and/or emotionally? (i.e. how great is their pain?)
3) Reinforce the pain of where they are.
4) Close the gap by painting a picture as to what will be different if they work with you.
5) Ask: what will it mean to them financially, physically and/or emotionally if this problem is solved?
6) Introduce the offer.
7) Help them come to the answer yes by focusing on the benefits of working with you – i.e. demonstrating the value.
8) Give them a price. If possible, give them options.
9) Ask which one they would prefer.
10) Ask when they would like to start work.
Get my ‘frightening and enlightening’ E-report now by subscribing to: www.thetrueworthexpert.com.
Leave a Reply